Section 75 and 75A Consumer Credit Act Claims

Section 75

If you have bought goods or services for between £100 and £30,000 and paid for any part of the purchase price on your credit card the credit card company is jointly liable for the whole purchase price if the supplier goes bust or otherwise fails to deliver what you agreed to buy.

You do not have to try to recover your money from the supplier of the goods or services first you can go straight to the credit card company.  You can also claim from the credit card company for anything that you would have been able to claim for against the trader/supplier.  This may allow you to claim for consequential losses that you have suffered as a result of the failure to deliver what you had contracted to buy in addition to the reimbursement of the money you paid (eg you may be entitled to interest on your money until it is repaid).

They may try and argue you have no claim in which case you can call us for help.  We will look to act on a no win no fee basis.

I go into more detail in other posts which you can see here and here.

Section 75A

Where the purchase was between £30,000 and £62,260 and you used what is called a “linked credit agreement” to fund the purchase but the supplier of the goods or services has not performed the contract or refunded your money when asked or gone bust you could claim against the finance company.  Common linked credit agreements are found when you have new kitchens/bathrooms or wardrobes fitted.  The kitchen company for example would sell the debt (your purchase price) to the credit company and at the same time you enter into a credit agreement with that company.  I have done one of these myself for fitted wardrobes and it was far from clear who I needed to complain to.  The wardrobe company had their money so had little incentive to put things right.  The credit company had no knowledge or input into the wardrobe fitting so seemed happy to sit in their ivory tower and ignore me.  I managed to get some money back from the wardrobe company but had to threaten legal action.

Another common area whether section 75A might be relevant is for new car purchases which are often on finance offered and arranged through the car dealership or other significant purchases such as solar panels, kitchen, bedroom or other home improvements.

If you have these arrangements and are unhappy with the service call Nick for impartial friendly advice.  I am a senior solicitor who does his own blogs!  You will not be passed down the line!

Share This!