Claims for bad or inappropriate investment advice and claims to Financial Ombudsman Service and FSCS

Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) limits

Deposits of up to £85,000 in a bank or building society are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).

Investments (eg in shares) are only protected up to £50,000 by the FSCS.

Bad or inappropriate advice from an Independent Financial Advisor

If you have made investments that have lost you money on the back of advice from an IFA and those investments were not appropriate for you (eg because they were too risky for you) you may be able to claim against the IFA for their misselling or negligent advice.

First you should complain to the IFA.  If they don’t deal with your complaint within 8 weeks or reject it you can take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.  They will investigate it and make a decision as to whether that IFA should have to pay you compensation for the inappropriate or negligent advice.

If the IFA has stopped trading or cannot pay due to being insolvent or in liquidation you can take your claim to the FSCS whether or not you have been to the Financial Ombudsman Service first.

For investments (as opposed to deposits of money) the FSCS protection is not as high and is limited to £50,000.

If you think you have received bad investment advice and wish to make a claim call Nick on 01925 759 510 without delay and I will do my best to help you recover your investment.

Improvements not required. Sentinels Solicitors are excellent.  They are efficient and extremely helpful.  I fully recommend them and will use their services again. R.T. Surrey 07.09.19

Cannot fault the service, no need for improvement, excellent service, always kept in the loop. Happy to use words on website. DM Stevenage


Share This!